Rice Water for Hair? Benefits + Drawbacks of DIY Rice Water Rinse For Hair
Rice water is full of nutrients that has been long known to posses the power to help nourish the scalp and hair. Dating back to the Heian Period in Japan, known as Yu‐Su‐Ru, a rice water rinse was originally utilized by ladies of the court, and was believed to have contributed to their long hair.
Watch this video on the benefits of using rice water for your next DIY at home treatment!
Due to rice's nutritional and rich antioxidant value, rice is one of the most important staples in the Japanese diet. Soaking rice in water creates a tonic that is loaded in vitamins, amino acids and other trace minerals such as zinc, magnesium, vitamins B and C. Keep reading to learn how these nutrients from rinse water rinses benefit the hair + scalp.
Rice Water Benefits For Hair
Improves Scalp Health: As we may already know, healthy hair grows from a healthy scalp and by treating the scalp with rice water, it is possible to infuse the skin on the scalp skin with the vitamins, amino acids and other trace minerals that are rich in antioxidants to nourish the hair follicles, repair damaged cells therefore helping to create a healthy scalp environment which can then promote stronger, healthier hair.
Sooths Scalp Irritation: A study in 2002 published in the National Library of Medicine found that the starch of rice water helped improve the damaged skin of individuals with irritation from the use of sodium lauryl sulfates and also individuals with dermatitis. When rice water is blended with emollients and oils, it can act as a nourishing DIY scalp treatment at home.
Boosts Shine + Strengthens Hair: Rice water may improve the lustrous appearance of hair, since the rice water adds hydration. In addition, the starch in rice water may help to strengthen hair since rice water contains high starch levels, coating the hair strand to add strength, minimizing split ends, and helps to thicken the hair.
Increases Manageability: Using a rice water rinse can potentially help with the manageability of your hair such as improved elasticity, increased shine in the hair, stronger hair and softer hair that is easier to detangle.
Potentially Aids in Hair Growth: Due to rice water’s richness in antioxidants, it's ability to influence hair growth is related to its effects on nourishing the scalp, promoting healthy hair by creating a supportive environment for hair growth.
Making Your Own Rice Water
Step 1: A common rice water preparation method is to rinse and strain the rice before cooking to remove any impurities. Mix the strained rice into a bowl with water and stir until the water becomes cloudy. You can also boil the rice.
Step 2: Strain the rice and preserve the water in a bowl with a lid. Let the water stand at room temperature for 12-24 hours to allow fermentation so all of the nutrients can be extracted into the water.
Store unused rice water in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Why you should try one of our rice protein infused reboots instead...
Our Tip to Root Hair Reboot, Save Me From Pollution Assault contains antioxidants in addition to rice protein from rice water rinses.
Here are just a few of the reasons why our Save Me From Pollution Assault reboot is a better alternative to a homemade rice water rinse:
- We harness varied molecular weight peptides, amino acids + polysaccharides to penetrate deeply into the hair shaft, repairing from within. The larger molecular weight peptides form ionic + hydrogen bonds within the hair, thus repairing the outer shield of the cuticle.
- We combined our rice protein with phytic acid, an antioxidant + chelating agent that binds heavy metals and prevents lipid peroxidation, thus preserving hair's shine + brightness.
- Our reboots are much easier to store and last significantly longer, conveniently placed on your bathroom counter (or wherever you choose to do your hair!)
- Not only does this reboot contain the benefits of biofunctional rice protein, but includes many other hair damage repairing ingredients such as creatine, silk worm, and panthenol to promote healthier hair growth and nourish your scalp. We really care about your hair from beginning to end, without giving your hair protein overload that can cause dryness + breakage.
It is worth mentioning our amazing reparative Fenugen technology with Ayruvedic Fenugreek. We identified fenugreek as a plant possessing rich concentrations of specific, bioactive compounds (medium and long chain fatty acids, terpenoids, polyphenols, phospholipids and vitamins A, C and B variety vitamins). We included bio-boosters like Coenzyme Q10 and organic karanja and MCT’s derived from coconut. This technology improves the health of the scalp as well as every aspect of the hair, root to tip.
Next time you reach for rice, make sure to save the water to increase the phytonutrients in your hair care routine also!
SHOW US YOUR STYLE #savemefrom
SHOP THIS LOOK
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh