How can Ayurvedic Fenugreek repair your hair damage?
Fenugreek has a long history in Ayurveda as being one of the most productive plants. It has been used to improve digestion, relieve eczema, and help with breastmilk production. However, its use in hair masks is what caught our undivided attention. Across the world, Indian women have the strongest, healthiest hair of any other country. Indian hair is the most commonly used hair for wigs and hair extensions for this very reason!
Fenugreek pastes and DIY fenugreek masks
Indian women's secret? They use a fenugreek paste to treat alopecia, dandruff, thicken fine hair, and to produce longer, stronger, shinier hair.1 This process can be as simple as using the paste while taking a bath, or as an overnight mask to cleanse the hair of impurities and strengthen it. However, this process can be time consuming and messy! In the process, you have to soak the seeds 6-7 hours, drain the excess water, and then blend the softened seeds into a paste. When the paste is kept in an airtight container in the fridge, it lasts for only about a week. With that kind of shelf life, you're probably going to end up throwing much of it away.
Some common questions you might have about these fenugreek hair masks:
Can I use fenugreek hair masks to thicken hair?
Can I use fenugreek hair masks for hair growth?
Do I do the fenugreek hair mask overnight?
Can a fenugreek hair mask decrease hair fall?
In the rest of this article, we will answer these questions and offer you the chance to see how we've not only harnessed this amazing Ayurvedic spice but found a way to innovate it for a breakthrough formula that your hair desperately needs!
What is fenugreek?
Basically, fenugreek is a legume. The seeds are yellow in a brown pod, and while they have a bitter taste, they are well-known for their nutty smell- somewhat similar to maple. In fact, the smell is so distinct, fenugreek seeds are often used for imitation maple syrup and coffee. This distinct smell has an underlying consistency in each SAVE ME FROM product.
Fenugreek has been proven to have antifungal and antibacterial properties, fighting the same bacteria that causes dandruff, without the same side-effects as other synthetic drugs, though with the same effectiveness.3
One study was even able to show that extracted fenugreek was an effective treatment for hair loss, stimulating hair growth and cutting the amount of hair growth time in half!3
They are high in fatty acids such as linoleic and oleic fatty acids, commonly used in skincare remedies. When we say they are high in these fatty acids, we are not kidding! The seeds alone contain about 7.8% oil, some of the highest concentrations of oil in any seed!2
April Peck, our founder, spent time in India studying the herbs and oils included in our damage-specific hair care. The fenugreek we use in our Fenugen formula is sourced from organic fair-trade farms near the Blue City in India.
Parts of the fenugreek seed that benefit hair:
- Proteins: treats hair fall and nourishes the hair
- Lecithin: emollient that helps strengthen and moisturize
- Vitamins: A, B1, & C promotes hair growth, improves shine, strength, and thickness, and protects hair from free radicals (also known as pollution)
- Mucilaginous fiber: absorbs the water to create it into a paste, creates good conditioning and softening effects for your hair
- Amino Acids: promote hair growth and strength, maintains the proteins in the hair including your naturally occurring keratin
Other benefits of fenugreek:
- Dietary fiber: when ingested, fenugreek seeds and leaves can regulate your blood sugar levels due to lowering your glucose absorption
- Phytochemicals: anti-diabetic, antioxidant, & gastroprotective substance
- Lecithin & choline: helps dissolve cholesterol and fatty substance, promoting weight loss
Fenugreek in our Fenugen technology
When we learned about this breakthrough ingredient, we realized we wanted to fully harness the potential of this incredible herb. Through a lot of research, we were able to discover an eco-extraction process that will take the fenugreek herb and extract it to maximize its potential. We then took some other amazing, complementary ingredients and formulated our patent-pending Fenugen.
When tested in an independent lab, our Fenugen formula containing extracted fenugreek was able to:
- Produce 5 times the total polyphenols than mixed oils alone
- Produce 4 times the antioxidant activity than mixed oils alone
- Reduce split ends by 84%-97%
- Improve shine by 20%-82%
- Improve hydration from 100%-200%
Hair with split ends and no Fenugen mask treatment vs. Hair treated with Fenugen mask treatment
So, whether you are someone who loves taking vitamins for hair growth, have fine hair, struggle with hair breakage, or worried about your hair falling out, we know you’d benefit from our damage-specific products! We want the best for you and your hair!
Now that you know what is causing your hair problems and you know how we are remedying that, tell your friends so they can benefit from this incredible new hair care line! And don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and Facebook to stay up to date with our launch! Oh, and we are still taking newsletter sign ups in order to get a $30 e-voucher at launch time, good for one of our deluxe minis! If you have friends and family who complain about hair problems, let them know so they can try out our products with no risks!
- Gupta A, Malviya R, Singh PT, Sharma KP. Indian Medicinal Plants Used in Hair Care Cosmetics: A Short Review. Pharmacognosy Magazine. 2010;2(10):361-364.
- Sulieman AM, Ali AO, Hemavathy J. Lipid content and fatty acid composition of fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum L.) seeds grown in Sudan. International Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2008;43:380-382.
- Wijaya WH, Mun'im A, Djajadisastra J. EFFECTIVENESS TEST OF FENUGREEK SEED (Trigonella foenum-graecum L.) EXTRACT HAIR TONIC IN HAIR GROWTH ACTIVITY. International Journal of Current Research. 2013;5(11):3453-3460.